Home Page

St Joseph'sCatholic Primary & Nursery School

Special Educational Needs


Welcome to Special Educational Needs at St. Joseph's!

This page contains statutory documents and links to sites which offer guidance and support for parents and carers.
See also our Class Page which has links to sites with child-friendly activities.

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s progress/ Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND)?

The first person to speak to about your concerns is your child’s class teacher.

If you still have ongoing concerns you may wish to speak to our school’s Special Educational Needs Disability Coordinator (SENCo)- Miss Sam Course

If any special educational needs are identified our SENCo will plan how to help your child with the involvement of both yourself and the class teacher. Your child’s help and progress may be recorded through an Individual Education Plan (IEP) or another way of recording their progress as appropriate. 

Our school SENCo is available to speak with on Wednesday and Thursdays. If you would like to discuss any concerns please make an appointment via the school office.


Helpful Information to Support Pupils

Latest News: Somerset SEND inspection Outcomes

As may be aware, Somerset Local Area (Somerset County Council and Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group) were inspected between the 9th and 11th March 2020, with Ofsted and the Care Quality Commission (CQC) finding that the Local Area significant weaknesses.
The Local Area has drawn up a plan, a written statement of action, so they improve on the inspectors findings. 

The links below will take you to a copy of the report and the written statement of action.

Copy of report

Statement of Action 

Latest news: Letter from Department for Health and Social Care and Department for Education about SEN provision and EHCPs. 

Additional Information whilst we are partially

closed during the Coronavirus Pandemic

Please find web links and information booklets below that may be of help whilst pupils are at home. If you have any questions or queries about supporting your children at home during this time please speak to your child's class teacher or contact us through the website/email. Government guidance for pupils with SEN continuing their education at home during Coronavirus. Staying healthy at home Free online autism course! Great free resource for pupils in the South West

An ELSA colleague shared this Kindness Calendar also:


March 2020 News: Parent Carer Forum information about the Somerset County Council SEN OFSTED and CQC Inspection.

For more information about the Somerset Ofsted and CQC inspection of SEND services please click on the link below or to access information from the Somerset Parent Carers Forum please click on the document above.